Last Friday, the wikia-l mailing list announced these changes:
- Articles will have ads in the content area.
- No ads on talk pages or user pages.
- Logged-in users will see one 300x250px ad at the top right.
- Where ad would disrupt a table, it will render as a banner.
- Main page will change to accommodate a 300x250 ad.
- Monaco skin (modified) will be shown for anonymous users.
- Logged-in users can choose skin.
- Rolling out over next few weeks, starting Tuesday.

I couldn't see much more info than what I have summarised above, but if you
want to
read the hostile feedback from admins of large wikis, see "Wikia's New Style"
at:
http://lists.wikia.com/pipermail/wikia-l/2008-June/thread.html

A slightly expanded version of my summary is at:
http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia's_New_Style

The talk page on the above redirects to a forum with more hostile reactions,
some of
which are extremely well written.

Clearly we will wait and see what happens. I didn't notice any mention of the
type
of ads, or what anonymous users will see. If ads are animated, we'll have to
try to
move our wiki elsewhere IMHO.

John