Benjamin Fritz wrote:
> Here are a couple of simple ideas. Some of these are probably
> not worth a tip on their own, but perhaps may make a nice "quick tips"
> list:
> * Opening a diff window for a buffer that you are also
> editing in another tab, without messing up window layout or
> options set by :diffthis
> * Opening a full-screen window on a buffer without messing up
> buffer layout or messing with :mkview/:mksession
> * Running a command on a limited selection of buffers without
> using the argument list (see
> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/User:Fritzophrenic/Repeat_a_command_
> on_a_selection_of_buffers
> for some notes on this and a potentially acceptable tip stub)

I think we need a "Using tab pages" tip that discusses the
basics and includes any short ideas. It might incorporate some
of the other muddled tips: I'm beginning to favour some brutal
pruning to remove fundamentally unhelpful stuff.

I have 'hidden' set and often have multiple modified buffers
loaded (and not visible). But I also use tab pages, mainly for
stuff that I want to keep around for a while (your first two
points above).

My weak contribution is that I sometimes look at Vim help by
inserting a 'tab' prefix when I want the help page to open in
a maximum size window that I think I will want to keep around.
Example:

  :tab h /\%v

Sometimes I might do 'h /\%v' first, then change my mind, so I
do <c-w>c to close the window, then : and up arrow and insert
'tab ' then press Enter. I know there are ways to move the
existing window to a new tab, but my simple procedure does the
job without stress.

John