First, you've sent your question to a list discussing the pages on the
wiki, not a Vim help list. You should have sent it to
vim_...@googlegroups.com, as discussed here:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki:Community_Portal#Asking_questions

I've included this list on my reply, you should respond there if you
have any additional problems.

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Edward Garbowski <e...@sabinmetal.com> wrote:
> I am having an issue with opening a text file with no BOM.  I have a
> text file that opens fine in Notepad, but if I open it in VIM I just
> get garbage.
>
> If I look at the hex code, there is no BOM in the beginning.  If I put
> a BOM in, it works.
>
> How can I make VIM work with no BOM on reading a file?  Or is this a
> bug of some kind?
>
> I am using version 7.3.46

It sounds like your 'fileencodings' option is not set correctly.
Probably it contains "ucs-bom" but not "utf-8".

This is probably because either you've deliberately edited your
'fileencodings' option, or you've never set Vim up to use a multibyte
'encoding' option in the first place.

See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode and the help
references listed near the bottom of that tip, to get started.