Hi Till,

What about the following? I basically search for a pattern

"not backslash" + (even number of backslashes) + % + rest

Probably, removing \verb|| etc is not worth the trouble till users
face a problem...

Srinath

============ vim solution ====================
" StripComments:  {{{
function! StripComments(str)
    return substitute(a:str, '\\\@<!\(\\\\\)*\zs%.*', '', 'g')
endfunction " }}}

echo StripComments('This is a %comment')
echo StripComments('This is not a \%comment')
echo StripComments('This is a \\%comment')
echo StripComments('This is not a \\\%comment')
echo StripComments('This is a \\\\%comment')

import re

re_comment = re.compile(r'(?<!\\)((\\\\)*)%.*')
def strip_comments(instr):
    print re.sub(re_comment, r'\1', instr)

strip_comments(r'This is a %comment')
strip_comments(r'This is not a \%comment')