In Vim, just type :echo("hasunix") and :echo("hasmacunix") to check the value
of these settings. The Mac OS X bundled Vim declares itself only as unix, while
MacVim declares itself as both unix and macunix. MacVim is also compiled with
more options, like ruby support, and it provides a GUI (the VimLatex menus can
be handy) and better OS integration (like simple copy/paste between Vim and
other apps). But make sure to use the latest snapshot on Snow Leopard, as the
stable is not stable :)

Generally, its better to set options in .vimrc (in your home folder) than
modifying vim-latex itself, since that makes updating vim-latex easier. Just put

let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf = 'open -a Preview.app'

in your $HOME/.vimrc (~/.vimrc that is). If you need to detect mac (say you
want to sync the .vimrc between different computers), don't rely on
has("macunix"), but use something like this:

if has("unix") && match(system("uname"),'Darwin') != -1
    " It's a Mac!
    let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf = 'open -a Preview.app'
endif

Dan Michael