On 2010-06-09, Xavier Dectot wrote:
> Hello, and sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, but I can't
> seem to find the answer. I'm using vim 7.2 on FreeBSD 8.0 and
> vim-latex suite, and some keymappings are definitely not working when
> I use "normal" vim, while they do work in gvim. Up to now, I've at
> least encountered the problem with F9, which capitalises the first
> letter of the line instead of launching TeX_Completion, and /rf, which
> does nothing at all. Any hint on what might be the problem or how to
> work it around ?

When operating in a terminal, vim uses the termcap or terminfo
database and an internal database to determine the sequence of
characters that the terminal sends when you type certain keys such
as F9.  The terminal I'm using now, which emulates an xterm, emits

    <Esc>[20~

when I type F9.  I determined that by entering insert mode, typing
Ctrl-V, then hitting F9.  If vim doesn't know that that
sequence means F9, it will execute the sequence as a series of
key strokes.

    <Esc>   is a no-op in normal mode.
    [       is the first character of a number of "left bracket"
            commands.
    2       There is no [2 command, so vim ignores both the [ and
            the 2.
    0       moves the cursor to the beginning of the row.
    ~       toggles the case of the character under the cursor.

So it appears that your vim is using an incomplete or incorrect
database for your terminal.  This is usually because the value of
TERM in your environment is incorrect or because your system's
terminfo database does not have an entry for your TERM.

You can see what kind of terminal vim thinks you're using by
executing

    :set term?

Does that match what you're really using?

Regards,
Gary