I am not a developer, but it is my understanding that latex reads the
saved file when it compiles the dvi.  I would expect it to be necessary to
save your buffer to disk with :w in order to compile it into a new dvi.
Personally, I like this design choice since it forces me to save my work
frequently.

I do not know about the other issue.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:30:46 -0500, Helge Liebert
<hl.statl...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> hey,
>
> im using vim 7.2 at work and would like to also use latex-suite. ive
> added everything to my vimfiles directory and made the recommended
> changes to the _virmrc, and latex suite is recognized. however, when i
> compile files that already exist after ive made changes to the
> original tex file, they are not overwritten. it only works if i save
> the file first and then compile or delete the dvi that should be
> overwritten. also, if i try to make changes to the default ouput
> format and other options it doesnt seem to have any effect, they
> remain unchanged.
>
> i would greatly appreciate it if anybody could help.
>
> best regards,
>
> Helge

Nicholas Laszlo Frazer
perso...@cesdep.org