> I know more about hg than git. In hg, there is a "convert" that allows

In fact, if you were willing to manage your conf repo with Mercurial,
you could probably use convert to do all of the work for you. The
simplest thing you'd want would be:

hg convert --filemap vimfiles_only /path/to/vim-latex ~/conf

where the "filemap" is a file that looks like:

include path/to/file-or-dir
exclude path/to/file-or-dir
rename path/to/source path/to/destination

In particular, the file "vimfiles_only" contacts

include "vimfiles"
rename "vimfiles" "vim"

But you could tweak things a bit (branchsort or datesort, for example).
I don't know of a way to "squash" in hg convert, and so you'd end up
with a bunch of heads corresponding to each of the unclosed heads of the
vim-latex. You could --close-branch on each of them if you prefer.
Otherwise, you can just merge with the most recent head, and I think you
would be on your way. Run the convert periodically to pull new revisions
in, and then merge again. That is..

hg update -C old_conf_head
hg merge -r latest_vimfiles_head
hg commit -m "Merge"

I would recommend naming the old branch and the branch holding the
latest vimfiles head. That will make future merges easier
(alternatively, you can close the several old vimfiles branches that are
dead).

I gave it a test run on my system, and it seemed to work.

--Ted

--
Ted Pavlic <t...@tedpavlic.com>