> I confirm I can reproduce this on Arch Linux, using the packages gvim
> 7.3.1287-1 and vim-latexsuite 20130126-1. Just my 2c.

Thanks. If anyone is interested in a solution: I have traced the issue
to vim itself and I have dug around in vim's code repository, trying
out different versions. It turns out the mentioned issue appeared with
vim 7.3.1253 and has been fixed in vim 7.3.1303.
(https://code.google.com/p/vim/source/detail?r=6e611380b4cf586f210de94d92a4f158b6900a5f&path=/src/edit.c)
So using a version older than 1253 or at least 1303 will help. I guess
it won't be long until an updated Arch Linux package is available,
too.

Best regards
Bernhard