On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Russell Bateman wrote:

I'm guessing I'm not answering the real question, Yakov, for I recognize you as one of the frequent responders to this list and therefore someone who knows better than I. Nevertheless, I promised and answer here and someone else may be waiting on it even though it falls short of what you wanted. This particular trick has solved all my problems in juggling two separate tab formats at my workplace:

/* vim: tabstop=3:shiftwidth=3:noexpandtab
*/

This is what I put in the files I want entabbed at 3 with tabs instead of spaces, not the normal format of files for the rest of my development group.

Also, I found I had to put the statement across two lines like that or Vim wouldn't take it. I don't remember why, just that this is what I ended up with.
[snip]

The reason why you have to put the statement across two lines is because
you're using the first form of modelines that does not allow any text to
come after the options. See ":help modeline".

Based on your example, here is the second form:

  /* vim: set tabstop=3 shiftwidth=3 noexpandtab: */

Hope this helps.
--
Gerald