On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Matthew Winn wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 09:14:33PM +0200, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> >
> > first thank you all very much for the backings.  I'm on the
> > way losing trust in my own mind.
> >
> > Could this be normal?  I've been in two jobs during the past
> > year and not one of these well-paid colleagues calling
> > themselves degreed software engineers does even know about
> > Vim (neither Emacs).  None of them is having Linux at home.

I'd refer them to "The Pragmatic Programmer", by Andrew Hunt
and David Thomas, from the books tips:

  Use a Single Editor Well
  The editor should be an extension of your hand; make sure your
  editor is configurable, extensible, and programmable.

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ppbook/extracts/rule_list.html

It's quite a thin book, but very good IMHO.  I've no financial
interest in its sales, in case you wondered :-)

> > Extrapolating from this I don't expect my next job being
> > much better.
>
> [begin rant]
>
> It's been my experience that many people working with computers want
> access to the very latest hardware but when it comes to the software
> they use they tend to stick with what they know and are extremely
> unadventurous.  I know many, many people who use Windows notepad as
        [...]
> same with web browsers: count the number of people you know who use
> Internet Explorer, not because they're tried several browsers and find
> IE suits them best, but because they've never given any thought to
> trying an alternative.

See Edward de Bono's Thinking Course.  People just don't look for
alternatives.  Basically, because if something works then one is surviving.
Evolutionary psychologists would say more about that :-)
Much of his work is about generating alternatives => lateral thinking.

        Hugh