Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 12:08:23 +0100 (WEST)
From: Hugh Sasse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Vim Help list <vim@vim.org>
Subject: editing WinXP text files - multibyte?

If, on WinXP, I do

regedit /e regfile.reg

I get a file with the contents of the registry.  However, in my Gvim
(6.4) I see nulls for every other character (^@), which agrees with
remarks about ucs-2le in the docs.    This is particularly
unpleasant to read and edit.  Notepad will display it to read, but
for editing I'd rather use gvim. Both
:he utf-16 | he ucs2-le
turn up nothing, and the utf-8 things don't seem relevant.  :he
encoding tells me I can't use that to edit a file that has loaded
incorrectly, so I'll have to re-open the file.  But that means
right-clicking the file to access vim won't work.

I think I'm doing this the hard way.  Could someone point me at the
right part of the docs, please?

        Thank you,
        Hugh