On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:35:16PM -0300, Luis A. Florit wrote:
> Pals,
>
>     I upgraded to FC5 recently, and it comes with vim 6.4
> (gcc-4.1.0). I am getting the same crash error as another
> user in gvim:
>
>     Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
>     Vim: Finished.
>
> but it seems to be a completely different problem:
> here it happens sometimes only (around 10% of the times),
> when executing :make in LaTeX files. I only use gvim with
> LaTeX, otherwise vim, so I don't know if this also happens
> in other circumstances.
>
>     Any clue?

     I do not think it makes sense to call this "the same crash error."
A segfault (SEGV) error just means that something went out of control.
This reminds me of the old comparison between Pascal and C error
messages:

Pascal error message:  Danger!  Car is driving off of bridge!

C error message:  Passenger compartment is filling with water!

A segfault means that all the air is gone.

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher

P.S.  It might help to use

:!latex %:r

instead of :make, and it may help to re-compile vim with a lower level
of optimization than the default.  I know there are problems with gcc
4.x on Mac OS X.  I think that vim 7 will default to -O2 with gcc 4.x,
but vim 6.4 probably does not do so.