Vincent Linsong wrote:

> >This is by design.  Some people mentioned that when using the longest
> >common string the first entry should not be selected.  Now you can use
> >CTRL-N to select the first entry.  Previously you would need to do
> >CTRL-N CTRL-P to get the first entry.
>
>    I use the omnicompletion like this:
>    I set completeopt=menu,preview,longest . Now consider I input some
> characters of a function's name, for example, the function's name is
> 'helloWorld' and I input 'hel'. I am not glad to remember the exact
> function name, so I invoke omnicompletion by <C-X><C-O>, then I know
> what is the exact name of the function, instead of press <C-N> or <C-P>
> multiple times to select it from the menu, I choose to input more
> characters and when function's name becomes the top entry on the menu, I
> will press <C-Y> to accept it. I think this way is very convenient and I
> know many intelligence like tools works in this way.
>    If others have enough reason to change the behavior, would you like
> to add a new option to make two ways work ?  Thanks a lot!

I think the current behavior is best for most people.  For you, instead
of pressing CTRL-Y you can use CTRL-N and continue typing, that normally
stops completion.

I don't know other tools that use CTRL-Y...  You might be tempted to hit
<Enter> to accept the current match, we had that discussion before.
That kind of use simply doesn't go well with "longest".

--
DEAD PERSON:  I don't want to go in the cart!
CUSTOMER:     Oh, don't be such a baby.