On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 10:38:08PM -0700, Gerald Lai wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Salman Khilji wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >What I am looking for is that when I hit the 'n' key,
> >VIM should move the cursor to the next match AND
> >highlight it as well using, for example, the 'Search',
> >or 'IncSearch', or the 'Todo' highlight group.  As
> >soon as I hit the 'n' key again, the previous
> >highlight should disappear and the next one should get
> >highlighted.
> [snip]
>

> With these assumptions
>
>   set nohlsearch nocompatible
>
> you can try these mappings:
>
>   cmap <C-n> <CR>/<Up>
>   cmap <C-p> <CR>?<Up>
>
> Hit Ctrl-n/p to move on to the next/previous search, while you have
> incsearch highlight on.

     Either I am confused or you are.  Why use :cmap for this?

     I would suggest

:nmap n n:match Search /\%#<C-R>//<CR>
:nmap N N:match Search /\%#<C-R>//<CR>

Note that vim is smart enough to avoid recursion here:  you can use
:nnoremap if you want, but :nmap is good enough.

     If this solution works well for you, please consider posting it as
a vim tip:

http://www.vim.org/tips/add_tip.php

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher