From: Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, May 2, 2006 9:22 AM

> "utf-8" is not a valid value for 'printencoding'.  It must be an
> 8-bit character set.
>
> The help mentions that it would fall back to "latin1" when
> 'printencoding' is not a supported encoding, but this apparently
> doesn't happen.

This must have changed in 7.0, 6.4.10 and prior work fine.

> I don't know if the help should be updated (the error can be a
> useful hint why printing doesn't work as expected) or that Vim
> should fall back to "latin1" and perhaps print something weird.
> Falling back would be fine if you use only latin1 even when the
> encoding is utf-8.

Your top line above would be appreciated at :help 'printencoding. Or
tweaking :help 'penc-option, it currently reads that with +multi_byte
and +iconv conversion is automatic. (Or maybe the bug prevents this?)

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]