:v (and :g) made my day..!

Yes, I use this a lot if I just want to filter out a set of lines, or see only lines containing some text (like the old XEDIT command). But what I'd really like to to is continue editing in this view and not lose all the hidden lines, more like folding. I expect folding can do this, but I've never gotten it to work and it seems pretty cumbersome. I'm looking for a simple solution involving maybe a couple of command I can make a map for.

I guess I'm looking for a g or v command that folds the lines instead of actually deleting them.

Thanks,

Jack