Steve Hall wrote:

> Is there a way to avoid the "Press ENTER or type command to continue"
> when requesting spelling suggestions from a :normal z= call in a
> function?
>
> I'm not able to make any of the usual tricks (&shm, raising the
> command height) work, and this statement blocks user input.

Why not use spellsuggest()?

It works when you set the maximum number of entries in 'spellsuggest' to
less than the value of 'cmdheight'.

":silent normal z=" also works.  That's probably what you should do if
you want to catch the output with a redirection.

--
"Making it up?  Why should I want to make anything up?  Life's bad enough
as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."