{Added postscript to what I sent a few minutes ago.]

  > Gerald Lai wrote:
  > On Wed, 10 May 2006, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
  >>   Bram Moolenaar wrote:

  >>> I get "Spell checking is not enabled".  Did you do ":set spell"?
  >>
  >> Yes, I did :set spell before ifooey.

  >>> Using the cursor only selects another entry, it doesn't insert
  >>> it.  Use Enter to insert the match (original text).
  >>
  >> Preceding intent is not happening.
  >>
  >>      :set spell<cr>ifooey<C-X>s<UP>
  >>
  >> Now match 1 of 100 (Phooey) does get inserted in buffer even
  >> though message at bottom says "Back at original";  and then
  >> hitting <ESC> leaves buffer with Phooey.
  >
  > Confirmed for 7.0 release. It seems that i_up-arrow &
  > i_down-arrow work un-intuitively as compared to i_ctrl-p &
  > i_ctrl-n, respectively.

  Not exactly -- the bug is _NOT_ "un-intutiveness".

  The bug, present in 7.0.10, is that both of Bram's intents, viz.,

          "Using the cursor only selects another entry,
          it doesn't insert it.  Use Enter to insert the
          match (original text)."

  are _not_ happening.

  1) <UP> -- just doing 1 <UP> -- after i_CTRL-X s actually inserts
     an entry -- Bram says it will not, but it does in fact.

     Moreover, even though the message at the bottom says Bram's
     intent "Back at original", the word inserted is in fact the
     "match 1 of 100" word -- after exactly 1 <UP> after i_CTRL-X s.

  2) Then -- after doing zero or more <UP> and <DOWN> -- hitting
     <ESC> will leave that inserted "match 1 of 100" word in the
     buffer rather than Bram's intent of leaving the buffer unmodified.

  POSTSCRIPT:  With 7.0.10, in insert mode, enter the command:

                     <C-X>s<C-P><Down>

               What shows up is what is supposed to show up
               after entering only <C-X>s.
  --Suresh