On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 04:06:38PM +0530, Jerin Joy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use gvim as my default editor. My source files are in a non standard
> language whose syntax is similar to Verilog. When I open files from
> command line in independent gvim windows the syntax highlighting uses
> the verilog syntax which is what I want. The only thing is when I use
> the split command to split an existing gvim window between 2 files,
> the new file opened does not have the syntax highlighting or colour.
> Does anyone know why its not using the verilog syntax for the second
> file? Is there a way to add this file type so that gvim recognizes it?
> It works fine for Verilog/C++ source files.
> I wanted to use the split command instead of multiple gvim windows to
> reduce clutter on my desktop.
>
> Jerin

     How is it that the first file you open is detected properly.  For
example, have you added something to your vimrc file to make verilog
syntax the default?

     Probably you should read

:help new-filetype

(and perhaps some of the preceding docs for context).  The goal is to
have vim set the 'filetype' option automatically each time you open one
of these files, and then to load the verilog syntax.

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher