On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 08:35:28PM +0530, jagpreet wrote:
> Thanks Tony/Benji,
> Also, about installing vim 7.0
> Will it be possible to install it in my working directory instead of root as
> I won't be having the access to root.

     Yes, it can be done.  Read the instructions in the comments of
src/Makefile .  They are as clear as anything I could write, and more
complete.

> Also, at present vim(6.4) is installed on the server, will it create any
> clashes if two versions exists on the same server.
> e.g. if I type command vim, will it take from <PATH>/vim64/bin...
> or <PATH>/vim70/bin....

     I think you misunderstand how the PATH environment variable works.
Suppose, for example, that vim 6.4 is installed as /usr/local/bin/vim
and vim 7.0 as ~/bin/vim .  If

        PATH=/usr/local/bin:~/bin

then you will get vim 6.4 by default, probably not what you want.  If

        PATH=~/bin:/usr/local/bin

then you will get vim 7.0 by default.

     Either way, there should be no serious clashes.  In particular,
each version of vim should be able to find the appropriate set of
runtime files.

> Further, can I use the GUI verion(gvim) if I'm working on windows PC and
> using a terminal emulator(putty) to work on linux server.

     I believe this will work if you use SSH and define DISPLAY
correctly, but I have never done this myself.

> > Furthermore, I'm using plugin "bufexplorer.vim", but I'm not able to
> > see any window(extra buffer window, which was available in minibuf
> > explorer).  There is no screenshot available so I don't have much
> > idea if works the same way.  When I use the command \mbe(or
> > :BufferExplorer) as mentioned in the plugin document the error
> > display is    " E488: Trailing characters".
> >
> > Do I need to make some settings before using this plugin, though I
> > have check the docs and no specific setting is mentioned in it, but
> > no idea how to use this plugin.
> >
>        Well I could not get the number to identify the script if at
> all any given.
> But on the script page it is mentioned as
> " bufexplorer.zip : Easily switch between buffers without knowing their
> numbers"
> Author : jeff lanzarotta

     Am I supposed to guess what "the script page" is?  All right, I
will:  http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=42 .  Did I get
it right?  Even if I did, there are many versions on that page, each
identified by a version number and a date, and I would need to know
which one you tried.

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher