> I haven't seen much discussion of the intermediate solution:  have a
> command shell that *isn't* a terminal emulator.
>
> There have been several attempts at this, with varying degrees of
> success.  A command shell window which does good, solid handling of
> command line utilities would be terrific.  It would require none of
> the morass of issues of terminal emulation, but still allow me/you to
> do many of the things that would be so useful.
>
> I'm currently switching around between plugins like vimsh.vim which
> uses Python, and my own home grown version which uses more primitive
> interaction with Cygwin OS.  They come close, but aren't fully
> fledged, and seemingly aren't well known or used.

I think with a few small additions to vim I could make vimsh a very good
substitute.  The big sticking point right now is async I/O.  I've tried just
about every trick in the book with none providing a good solution.  I'm
interested in seeing what you've done w/ cygwin.

It's pretty bad with Windows.  Even with Cygwin, all you have are
pipes, not pseduo-ttys.  I ended up with something fairly primative:
communicating through the existence of files, checking every 200-300
ms.  It responds as well as pipes without all the deadlock problems,
though eats more cpu.  The shell seems to be the inefficient side.

I'm wondering if anybody has done a shared memory implementation for Windows?

I personally like vimsh better than the possibility of an intergrated terminal
because I like being able to move around it like a buffer with all the
benefits of that, like the movement keys, yanking, etc, etc.

Agreed.