On Tue, 16 May 2006 at 2:43pm, Bob Hiestand wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I'm re-writing my cvscommand.vim plugin to handle both CVS and
> Subversion version control systems.  I'm currently implementing some
> of the functionality through function references that define common
> operations for each source control system in a dictionary specfic to
> that system.  I have a situation where I have a generic dispatch
> function that identifies which dictionary to dereference to obtain the
> function reference.
>
>   The problem is that the function eventually called behind the
> function reference may have any number of arguments.  Therefore, the
> dispatch function takes any number of arguments to pass through.  This
> leads to the actual call, which looks like this (all on one line):
>
> function! s:ExecuteVCSCommand(command, ...)
>   " find the proper functionMap dictionary, and then:
>   execute "return functionMap[a:command](" . join(map(copy(a:000),
> "'\"' . v:val . '\"'"), ",") . ")"
>
>   My question is whether there is a simpler way to pass an unknown
> number of arguments from the current function to a function which
> accepts a variable-length list of arguments.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bob

My suggestion would be to have the underlying methods always accept a
list of arguments, then you can just pass a:000 straight-through.

BTW, your approach to enclose the arguments in double-quotes is a
bad-idea, especially if you are handling paths on windows with
back-slashes in them (among various others). Imagine what would happen
if the argument is "c:\dev\tst\newfile", both \t and \n will result
in getting expanded to tab and newline. What you should do is to use
single-quotes to avoid accidental transformations, but then escape the
existing single-quotes themselves (if any). Take a look at the
MakeArgumentString() function in my genutils.vim.

--
HTH,
Hari