hj wrote:
> I find that the only method to input chinese in vim on a windows box is using
> gvim. And after pressing the ESCAPE switch to command mode, I must switch the
> input method into English. It is not so convenient. Is there any method to
> solve these problems?

I never succeeded to use any Input Method; but there are ways to input
any characters (yes, even hanzi) without an IM:

- If you have the required character in a file somewhere, you can use
cut-and-paste;
- If you know its Unicode codepoint number, you can use it (with
'encoding' set to UTF-8 -- the 'fileencoding' may be a Unicode encoding
or a "national" one), see ":help i_CTRL-V_digit".
- If you /don't/ know its codepoint number, there are ways to find it;
what I use is the "Unihan.txt" file from the Unicode site
http://www.unicode.org/ but beware: that file (a plaintext file in
UTF-8) is very very bulky. Or you could use the Unicode "code charts"
from the same site, which show the characters in tabular format in PDF
files. Each file is in codepoint sequence; for hanzi that means they are
in approximate "radical + strokes" dictionary order.
- For characters you use particularly often, you can create a set of
mappings; or if there are many of them, you can create a keymap. For
Chinese I would expect the {lhs} of every keymap line to consist of more
than one keystroke but that is quite possible: see ":help
keymap-file-format".

If none of the above suits you, then I believe you should use gvim; and,
of course, if your Dos Box isn't in a codepage which is suitable for
Chinese, then gvim is definitely better because the Dos Box won't show
your hanzi anyway, even though Vim can still handle them.