On 5/19/06, Meino Christian Cramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 IMHO the help files are only for those, who are know already, what
they are searching for. A newbie gets hopelessly lost.

Meino,

The vim learning path is eaier for those who used "old vi".
Those who used vi feel at home in vim. But all vi commands is rather
small set, fits in 2-3 pages.
(BTW it contains g// and v/).

"Old vi" is real hard core of vim.

I'd strongly recommend to read through all "old vi"
commands before starting with advanced vim
features. At least you won't miss g// and other vital
vi commands. List of "old vi" commands is not included
into vim help. Find it on google.

Regarding vim bundled docs (help), I think it's
amazing, it's monumental Bram's work. Bram strives
to have every small detail of vim behaviours *documented*.
He is receptive to suggestions to improve docs.

Regarding ':help history'. Do you have
   set wildmenu wildmode=list:longest
in vimrc, Meino ? If you do, then after ':help history<Tab>'
you'll see there are not one but at least three different
related help entries:
  1) :help 'history'   -- history, the option
  2) :help :history   -- :history, the command
  3) :help history

Finally, I'd recomment to Bram to add tag
*history-reset-to-20*. But to get to it, you must
use the     set wildmenu wildmode=list:longest
and Tab. Did you have it set ?

Sincerely,
Yakov