Mark Woodward wrote:

interestingly its not doing it this morning! It might have been a combination of factors causing this. I'll have to try and reproduce it.

Tony    - no, not sourcing vimrc_example.vim
DrChip  - I'll have to look into set hidden. Not sure how session would
          help though. This was happening during a session. ie I'd open
          a fold in a buffer of many folds, :bn to go to another buffer
(single window, no tabs, no splits) do something, :bp to go back and the fold would be closed.
Gerald  - set foldlevelstart = -1
Eric    - no modelines.
If you use
 mkview MyView.vim
(:mksession saves more), then the folding states are saved.  You can then
source the MyView.vim file (or Session.vim if you try :mksession) to restore
viewing state.

Setting hidden will hide instead of abandon buffers you leave behind, including all their state information. Then, when you return to them, they're there in all
their glory (and warts).

Regards,
Chip Campbell