Georg Dahn wrote:
Hi!

IOW, the problem seems to be caused by a gx mapping somewhere in the netrw plugin set. You might try downloading the latest version, probably from Dr. Charles "Chip" Campbell's site (astronaut or somesuch).

I have done this now and installed it as described in the message, which
came on opening the vba file (that is, I did :so %). Now I have two
versions of netrw: one in vim70/plugin and one in vimfiles/plugin.
Which one is used when I use netrw now?

Best wishes,
Georg

The first one in 'runtimepath', i.e., the one in $VIM/vimfiles/plugin and $VIM/vimfiles/autorun . There are a few lines at the top of both files which prevents the second one from actually running even if sourced. Thus you may find them both in the output from ":scriptnames" but only the first one is actually executed.

See
   :help :runtime
   :help 'runtimepath'
   :set runtimepath?
   :help :scriptnames
   :scriptnames
   :view $VIM/vimfiles/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
   :view $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim

You may have to open (with zo ) the fold titled "Load Once" in the scripts.