Eric Arnold wrote:

Real close.  Turns out I think I want:

/\<\%[directory]\{1,}\>/

I suspect you want
/\<d\%[irectory]\>/

but it doesn't seem to recognize \{1,} and without the \< it seems to
be matching white space.  The problem with   \<   is that it doesn't
seem to allow   \<\%[.directory]

What I'm actually trying to do is walk through a list of displayed
files, highlighting each file individually (full length) (I.e via
<TAB> key).  The regex is because the file names are truncated to a
given length, and the remainder is wrapped down onto the next column

./                               >8.3                           >oaded
../                            TabLineSet.vim.2.0     WinWalker.zip.upl>
TabLineSet.vim.1.>   WinWalker.1.2.1.zip       >oaded2
  >7.1.vim                WinWalker.1.2.zip      doc/
TabLineSet.vim.1.8   WinWalker.2.0.zip       plugin/
TabLineSet.vim.1.>   WinWalker.2.1.zip
  >8.1                     WinWalker.2.2.zip
TabLineSet.vim.1.>   WinWalker.zip.upl>

After I solve the \%[   problem, I then have to see if I can deal with
the continuation segments.....