>After taking a couple of helpful hints from Eric, and doing a bunch of
>experiments, I have isolated some odd behavior to 'laststatus'.

>As a reminder, this issue only shows up when I compile vim7 using GTK-1;
>it does not occur when I compile with Motif or GTK-2.  My system is a
>Sun workstation running Solaris 8 and I use gcc 3.3.2 for compilation.

>The problem is that when I compile vim7 using GTK-1, certain characters
>need to be typed twice on the _search_ line.  Note that it only appears
>as if the search line is affected.  Text entry and command entry don't
>appear to be affected.

>If I set laststatus to 0 or 1, the problem goes away.  If I set it to 2
>again, the problem re-appears.

>This doesn't always occur either; some files edit just fine.  So there
>is some other dependency as well it seems--but I haven't discovered that
>yet.  But, when it does occur, changing laststatus to 0 or 1 always
>corrects the issue.

>Here's a sample of what I get when I type each letter in the English
>alphabet twice in a row (e.g.: aabbccddeeff...):

>abbcdeffgghijjkklmmnopqqrßtuvvww×yzz
>                         ^
>                         this is the greek Beta character (in case it
>                         got lost in the transmission)

>Notice how some characters only show up once, and the one greek
>character.

Aha!  That "beta" is actually a German "SS", "ß" ("sz" ligature) iirr.

The 'X' is a math times ("×" no?).

All the other (usually) vowels have similar "compounding", eg, [aeiou] with
accents of various types (try typing "a'" or "a:", ferinstance), Polish "l/"
(slashed-ell, don't know the sgml entity offhand), Spanish "n~" (en-tilde,
"ñ"), and so on.

Try some funky combinations like "l/", "n~", etc., and see what pops up.

If this is the case, then I don't *think* it's an issue with 'vim', but
something with the GTK1 compile, that maybe it includes as a "bonus" some
cooked keystroke editing to be able to easily get weirdo characters right from
the keyboard for functions like getc(), scanf(), etc.

We may be on to something now...  :D