jbw wrote:

I noticed a problem that occurs whenever I open a file via the
Directory listing. Whenever a file is opened via the directory listing
it screws up the textwidth settings for all the buffers. I am not sure
if it is the directory listing plugin or vim 7 itself that is causing
the problem. Even running the set textwidth=78 command doesn't seem to
resolve this.

Has anyone else noticed this and found a fix for this problem?

I suspect you're talking about netrw; please download v100 from
  http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1075
I advise removing the installation version of netrw, too.

Regards,
Chip Campbell