Steve Hall wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 15:28 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > Then Vim should offer you to download a missing spell file.  I can't
> > guess why this doesn't happen for you...
>
> I figured out my main problem: I had a beta (unstable) runtime with a
> bad URL.
>
> But now I'm noticing that it won't offer to download the file unless
> my username has permissions on the runtime /spell directory. Surely
> Vim doesn't expect that by default, do I need to create someplace in
> userland on &rtp? (Which is no longer default.)

You can set the 'verbose' option to 1 or higher to see messages about
what happens.

The mechanism is to look for a writable spell directory.  It doesn't
create one in ~/.vim for this purpose.

Perhaps the plugin should only check for a writable runtime directory,
and create the "spell" directory automatically?

233. You start dreaming about web pages...in html.