Thanks Matt,

I did have the feeling that I could bend Vim to my old ways, but this revelation was more about realising that I wasn't using features that make Vim different from other editors. I like the fact that it's now simpler both in terms of visual clutter and use.

Also, after playing with the new tabs I found a bug where the 4 window split would disappear if I opened a few tabs and came back to the 4 windowed one. This was in fact the point where I asked ...well do I actually NEED the static file browser.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick,

The article is good and illustrates a good point. However, I would like
to point out that what you were origionally trying to do is very
possible.

The simplest way (and there are probably others) is to make a simple
mapping that does all the stuff you describe (jump to the correct
window, jump back to the file explorer pane, and then hit "P"). You
could bind something like Alt-p (<m-p>) to do all that. This way you
would never have to worry about the file being opened in the wrong
window, because it's your own logic that decides the target window.

--Matt