Sorry for my misunderstanding.  You comment just rang a bell with me.
There have been times when I was working with dreaded emacs users,
and wanted to use one modeline section that covered both vim and emacs,
but could never figure out the emacs side.

gm

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:57:25AM -0600, Russell Bateman wrote:
> Ah, pardon me, I didn't say I had one that covered all three editors,
> only that I respected the right of non-Vim users not to have to look at
> my Vim modeline which I put at the bottom.
>
> Gregory Margo wrote:
> >For my own future reference, could you post an example of your modeline
> >footer that covers all three editors?
> >
> >thanks,
> >gm
> >
> >On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 07:48:26AM -0600, Russell Bateman wrote:
> >
> >>We keep hearing about how placing a modeline at the top of the file...
> >>
> >>Because I work in a multitabbed environment (i.e.: there are more than
> >>one tab standard), I have to use a modeline to sort out tabstop and
> >>shiftwidth. I put this modeline AT THE BOTTOM of my file where it works
> >>just fine and doesn't interfere with the copyright header or anything
> >>else going on at the top. As there are also emacs and VSE consumers of
> >>these same files, anything Vim-only would constitute an affront to them
> >>(the little bastards, hehehe).
> >>
> >>Just wanted to go on record about how a modeline can be placed at the
> >>bottom or the top of a file.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Russ

Gregory H. Margo
gmargo at yahoo/com, gmail/com, pacbell/net; greg at margofamily/org