On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 11:03:16AM +0000, Yakov Lerner wrote:
> I found that it would be more satisfying to the user
> if :match and :syn had additional attribute, 'priority=',
> so that user could control what has higher prio and what
> has higher prio.
>
> I find current rules of assigning priorities ad hoc and too
> user-uncontrollable. For :match, they are fixed and not changeable.
> For :syn match(syn keyword etc), they depend on the order of
> execution and on something that I don't even know.

     This would be nice, but someone needs to implement it.  IIRC, Bram
decided that improving the system would be difficult to do.

> In one specific case, I see that ':set list' suppresses ':match'.
> This is not user controllable. I'd prefer that by 'priority=N' in
> :match I could say whether it tops ':set list' or not, and that
> I could do it for :syn match, too.

     I do not see this.  I tried

:set list
:match Search /:\k\+/

and some other variants, including matching tabs and EOL.  In all cases,
the :match highlighting still worked.

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher