Yesterday, a bizarre thing happened that I have not
been able to replicate, and I'm hoping someone can
tell me a) exactly what I might have done, and b) how
to avoid it in the future.

I had a mostly empty function definition:

void
foo(void)
{
   return;
}

I selected a bunch of code from a fully written function,
by doing 'y%' with the cursor on the open brace of the function,
and then went into foo and pasted with 'p'.  The text pasted
fine, but all of the functions in the file below foo were
re-formatted so that the return type was indented:

      type
baz (void)
{....

Why did the re-format happen?  I probably had paste set, but
can't think of anything else that was different than my normal
settings, and as I said I can't replicate the behavior.

Any help appreciated.