I faced this issue a few times, so I thought I will ask here. When I
am done with the vimdiff mode, I normally just close the windows or
switch to other files. The problem is that Vim seems to remember that
those buffers participate in the diff mode, so the next time I start a
new vimdiff on other buffers, the previous buffers start participating,
and this results in a mess as more than likely those buffers are
unrelated.

The documentation says the 'diff' setting is local to window, so closing
the windows show cancel the setting out, but when I try the below
sequence on two related files say, x.old and x.new, it seems otherwise.

:sp x.new
:vert diffsplit x.old
:q
:q
:sp x.new
:vsp x.old

At the end, you have the same two files opened in the same side-by-side
view, but I didn't expect them to have the diff mode on. Can anyone
explain why and what I should do to avoid this (other than remembering
to run :diffoff before closing, or doing a :bufdo diffoff later).

--
Thanks,
Hari