I'm not really convinced that is the problem.  Nothing really points to it.

1) Syntax highlighting does work for some files - if it was the build
it wouldn't work at all.
2) Not remembering the file positions sounds like a configuration switch.
3) The help files being opened binary, rather than uncompressed on the
fly, along with the associated message, strongly suggests this is a
config problem.
4) I've used multiple binary builds, from different sources, all
giving exactly the same issues.
5) It seems so unlikely that the official Centos-4 build of vi -
Centos is basically RHEL - is radically broken.  Vi is pretty basic
stuff.  I don't believe RH would ship and not fix a broken vi.

If necessary I can build from source, but it's not my first choice!

On 7/10/06, Yakov Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/10/06, dave--uk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I used to use RH9 and was VERY happy with three features of vim (6.1.320)
> 1) almost everything was syntax highlighted, including, for example,
httpd.conf.
> 2) when i edited a file, vim remembered the last position I was at
> 3) the help worked
>
> Having moved to Centos-4 (RHEL) (vim 6.3.046) none of these work any more.
>
> I do get some syntax highlighting - for example of .cpp files - but
> .conf files etc don't get highlighted anymore, and no file positions
> are remembered.
>
> When I try to use help I get something like
>
>       "quickref.txt.gz" [readonly][noeol] 83L, 20610C
>       E434: Can't find tag pattern
>
> then quickref.txt.gz is loaded binary.
>
> I've tried to find the cause myself by comparing the vimrc files etc,
> and by searching google, but not found any answers.  I even found and
> installed v7 (from the rpm at
> http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2006/05/10/p139) but this gives
> exactly the same issues.
>
> I have the following vim packages installed:
> vim-common.i386                          2:7.0.000-2.el4.kb     installed
> vim-enhanced.i386                        2:7.0.000-2.el4.kb     installed
> vim-minimal.i386                         2:7.0.000-2.el4.kb     installed

You binary installation of vim seems to be
bad/bogus/broken/befuddled. (may be even bedeviled).

I recommend to install vim from sources. This is best. This
is also easy. You need gcc installed.  Then, (download
tgz from http://www.vim.org/download.php#unix,
./configure && make && make install), or follow
instructions on http://www.vim.org/download.php#unix

If you, for some reason, can't build & install from sources, then
you can try binary rpms found on rpmfind.net.
My guess is that many of rpms of over distros, listed
on rpmfind.net, are installable on your distro, because
vim generally has little external dependencies. But this is
only an option if you can't build & install from sources,
see above.

Yakov