Thanks Yakov,

that was the explanation I wanted.

Rob.

Yakov Lerner wrote:
On 7/12/06, Robert Cussons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks Max and Chip, I didn't realis that \< and \> were used to denote
the beginning and end of the word and therefore they could be used
separately, I always just thought of them as a way of getting an exact
match, which I suppose is almost the same thing, however, I still don't
understand why you can't exclusively mark the start of this string with \<

Try /\*\<word\>
, it will work.

But /\<\*
will never match, becuse \< requires alphabetic character after it.
When you put non-alphabetic char [*] to the right of \<, \<
will *NEVER* match. I know this is non-intuituve, but
this is how it works. \< requires alphabetic char to the right of it.
This is why \<[*] never matches.

\< requires alphabetic char to the right of it. This is why
\<\* never matches.

\< requires alphabetic char right after it. Thisis the reason
\<\* never matches.

Yakov

--
Robert Cussons