I am a fan of "ct*" as well, my only problem being having to count how
many occurrences of a letter there are until the one I want. I typically
will just do a single "ct*" and then repeat it with ".".

What I find more useful is "ci{" and "da{", given that I will often
yank/put a full function somewhere and just want to change a small
portion of the name and all the body, or write a function somewhere and
then cut/put it in the correct file and also a copy in the header file,
before deleting the body to just leave the declaration.

I agree though, it is massively wonderful not to have to use the mouse
or repeated pageup/arrow keys to position the cursor where I want to
write code. I generally just think where I want the cursor, and a couple
of button presses later it is there. The main thing which speeds me up
is the auto-insert stuff though, things like <C-X><C-L> and then a quick
modification of a part of the line in question.

Go vim!

Max