Would you be satisfied with changing the background color for
spaces?  Step 1:

:hi

and look for a pleasing color.  I am not using the GUI right now, and it
looks as though my choices are limited.  (Many groups change the
foreground color but not the background, at least in the default color
scheme with my terminal.)  I will choose DiffChange .  Second step:

:match DiffChange / /

Ahh!  That looks awful, so

:match NONE

will get me back to normal.

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher

P.S.  I think that :match NONE only works with vim 7.0, but I think the
rest works with vim 6.x.