cga2000 wrote:
On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 05:59:42PM EDT, Christian Ebert wrote:
* A.J.Mechelynck on Saturday, July 22, 2006 at 22:40:45 +0200:
The French oe (o, e-dans-l'o) is not defined in the Latin1 encoding, neither in capitals (as for titles or if the word "oeuf" [egg] is the first of a sentence), nor in lowercase. You need UTF-8 for it,
No. Just latin9 or ISO8859-15 (Look at the header of this mail).

Mon coeur.

This is on a Mac with a German keyboard, but using actually an
American keyboard layout. I enter the "oe" with Alt-q (the "Alt"
key on Mac keyboard corresponds to the Modifier key on other
keyboards I believe).

Could this be Mac-specific?
I switched to encoding=latin9.

When I do a Ctrl-K o e and a Ctrl-K O E this is what I get:

½ ¼
confirmed by the :dig command.

I looked carefully at the output of :dig and I couldn't see our elusive
"e dans l'o" either.

So I switched to the French ISO-08859-15, then the US version of
latin9.. still can't find that "o dans l'e".

Strange thing is that the font I use on terminals does have these two
characters (upper/lower case E dans l'O..) in the exact same spot Vim
displays the above fractions..

Try the following (in gvim):

 :echo has("multi_byte")

the answer should be 1. If it is zero, your version of gvim cannot handle UTF-8.

 :if &tenc=="" | let &tenc = &enc | endif | set enc=utf-8
 :new

then i (set Insert mode) and ^Vu0153 (where ^V is Ctrl-V, unless you use Ctrl-V to paste, in which case it is Ctrl-Q).

If you see anything other than the oe digraph, then your 'guifont' is plain wrong. See http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=632 about how to choose a better one.