A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
> Robin Becker wrote:
>> I'm trying to run GVim on PCBSD-1.2; when I use the icon installed by the .pbi everything seems to be ok, but I get this error when I try and run gvim from inside a konsole.
>>

>> ** (gvim-bin:7568): CRITICAL **: ascii_glyph_table_init: assertion `gui.ascii_glyphs->num_glyphs == sizeof(ascii_chars)' failed
>>

>> and then the gvim window appears to be gibberish as I think the font is off by one.
>>
>> I would like to run GVim from konsoles as then I can use su to become root (or other users) and carry out editing with my favourite editor.
>>
>> I can run vim from kde consoles, but when I do I seem always to get warning messages about about "not a terminal" even though vim eventually seems to run OK.
>
> I have no problems running Vim in a konsole terminal. What exactly is the message you get? Can you identify approximately at which point (probably somewhere in your vimrc) it is generated? Maybe your vimrc references options not available in your version of Vim?
>
> See
>     :help has()
>     :help feature-list
>     :help exists()
>     :help Ennn
>         where nnn is an error number in decimal

I'm running Vim 7.0 with the default rc ie none. The exact message is

Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal

I've checked and it's not actually Konsole that causes this. I see the same with a standard console or xterm. I believe the message comes very early. I think I'm going to try and install Vim from the ports rather than rely on the pbi.

As an additional nonsense, when I add a .vimrc in /usr/local/share/vim gvim started in Konsole seems to see it, but the one started from the installed icon doesn't. I suppose the icon thing is actually some script or executed in some special environment.

--
Robin Becker