[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> "A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 2006.07.31
> 01:17:38:
>
>> Dr. Johannes Zellner wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Apparently, there are only very few monospaced unicode fonts in Windows
>>> which can be used with vim.
>>>
>>> On Linux I like to use for example the efont unicode font for xterm.
>>> I installed this font as a ttf file on Windows, but it doesn't appear
>>> in the vim font selection dialog. I seems that there are fonts (with
> the
>>> .ttf suffix for the font file) wich appear on the vim font selection
>>> dialog (for example "Courier New") and some which don't.
>>>
>>> 1. Can I make the efont ttf font available for vim on Windows?
>>> 2. More generally: is there a way to convert Linux fonts (e.g. from bdf
>>> or pcf) to windows fonts which can be used with vim? I'm especially
>>> interested in unicode (iso10646-1) fonts.
>>>
>>> Any help much appreciated.
>>>
>> I don't know how to import fonts, or from where, but while editing in
>> Unicode I have found that:
>>
>> - The Windows Courier_New font has, at least, glyphs for Latin, Cyrillic
>> and Arabic. Probably some others too. I use it on Windows for Unicode,
>> except with CJK (i.e., Chinese-Japanese-Korean).
>>
>> - If you want fonts with CJK glyphs, there are several listed in the
>> fonts dialog. Those with @ prepended are rotated fonts, used to print
>> ideograms in such way that they will appear in columns after rotating
>> the paper 90° clockwise. Fonts with the same names but without the @ are
>> used to print ideograms in successive lines, as with Latin. The Chinese
>> (traditional), Chinese (simplified) and Japanese fonts have many glyphs
>> in common; I think some can be used for all three (MingLiU ? Can't check
>> at the moment as I'm currently on Linux).
>>
>> - I recommend leaving the :c part of the 'guifont' option at DEFAULT so
>> gvim will be able to get the necessary font where it is available: e.g.
>>
>>    :set guifont=Courier_New:h14:cDEFAULT
>>
>> - If you have, let's say, Arabic and Chinese in a single document (like
>> my frontpage http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/index.htm ) you
>> may need to set 'guifont' to Courier_New or to a CJK font depending on
>> which part of the file you're currently editing. It is of course
>> possible to map it to a single-key shortcut such as:
>>
>>    :map <F6> :if &gfn =~ "Courier" <Bar> set gfn=MingLiU:h16:cDEFAULT
>> <Bar> else <Bar> set gfn=Courier_New:h12:cDEFAULT <Bar> endif <Bar> set
>> lines=999 columns=999<CR>
>>
>>    :map! <F6> <C-O>:if &gfn =~ "Courier" <Bar> set
>> gfn=MingLiU:h16:cDEFAULT <Bar> else <Bar> set
>> gfn=Courier_New:h12:cDEFAULT <Bar> endif <Bar> set lines=999
> columns=999<CR>
>> (each mapping on a single line)
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>
> Vim can use only fixed width fonts. Some fonts appears to be fixed-width,
> but Vim cannot recognize it.

> [...]
[...]

Unicode is not limited to CJK. In fact, Courier_New has no CJK
ideographic glyphs, but it works very well, as I said, when mixing
Latin, Cyrillic and Arabic script within a single document, which is
only possible with Unicode.

As I already mentioned, on Windows I use Courier_New for Russian and
Arabic, and MingLiU for Chinese. For Latin-only editing sessions I use
Lucida_Console.