I want copy a complete line of text *without+ the final LF at the
 end, so it is possible to insert it elsewhere in the midth of text.

 With

                Shift-V

 I get the line *with* the LF at the end -- so I can not use that.

 With

                y/<last character of the line><RET>

 I get the line without the LF but the last character is also missing.

 With
y/$<RET>

In addition to the good suggestions by Jurgen and Georg (the usual way to do this would be "0y$"), if you have a multi-line selection that you've yanked and want to un-LF-ify (to make a really weird word), you can use

:let @" = substitute(@", '\n', ' ', 'g')

or, if you want to normalize space a bit,

:let @" = substitute(@", '\s*\n\s*', ' ', 'g')

You can use any register you want, but @" is the default scratch register.

-tim