Eddy Zhao wrote:
Hi,

  Very often, I write file in vim using my native language (not english),
Problem occurs like this

  - edit file in insert mode using my native language input method
  - Esc
  - using Ctrl-space to change to english input method (*)
  - hjkl
  - i
  - using Ctrl-space to revert back to my native language input method (*)

So, every time I switch between insert mode and normal mode (eg. when
moving edit point or issue edit command), I always have to change back
and forth between differnet language input method, which is really a
big burden.

So
- Is there a way to automaticlly change the input method to english input
  method , when Esc
- Further, is there a way to automatically change back to the original input
  method, after return back to insert mode (from normal mode)

Thanks
Eddy

For Windows, see "help mbyte-IME".

For X11, see "help mbyte-XIM"

The status of the IM is remembered in option 'iminsert' when switching between Normal and Insert/Replace modes (0 = type ASCII, 2 = use IM).

You need (see output of ":version"):
- not console Vim, but a GUI version, and run as gvim, not in an xterm
- for Windows, compiled with +multi_byte_ime or +multi_byte_ime/dyn
- for X11, compiled with +xim
- for full control of the XIM under X11, it must be a GTK (or GTK2) GUI.