Vu The Cuong wrote:
Currently I'm using win XP.
I just install dual OS with fedora core 5 and I installed vim 7
mannually from source. installation successful.
I created .gvimrc in my home folder and I put gvimrc.vim.example in to
this folder but vim seems not detected this file.
Could anyone tell me what's the exact name of this file under linux?
Thanks

Under Linux, Vim will read:
 1) $HOME/.vimrc and if not found, $HOME/_vimrc
 2) only in GUI mode: $HOME/.gvimrc and if not found, $HOME/_gvimrc

These are files, not folders. If you want to use the example scripts, I recommend to source (using ":source" or ":runtime") them than copy them: that way, if ever there is a bugfix to them you won't be stuck with the older version.

Under Windows, the searching order is reversed (underscores first, then dots). Thus, on a dual-boot system, if your HOME folder is the same, you can have a single vimrc called either .vimrc or _vimrc provided that there is no file by the other name; or one for Linux with a dot and another one for Windows with an underscore.

Personally I don't use the gvimrc; I have built my own vimrc around the line "runtime vimrc_example.vim" which invokes the example script. Most user settings go after that line; a ":language messages" command (if any) goes before it if it is to set the languages for the menus.

The reason is I find it easier to maintain a single rc file; any settings peculiar to gvim or to console vim can be wrapped as follows

        if has("gui_running")
                " settings for gvim
        else
                " settings for console Vim
        endif

Even if you prefer to have a separate gvimrc, remember that gvim also reads the vimrc; so if you have settings in the vimrc which are for "console Vim" only you will still have to wrap them in "if ! has('gui_running')".

After looking at what there is in the gvimrc_example, I don't miss it. Some settings (such as "set ch=2 hlsearch") I have set in my vimrc so Console Vim and gvim behave identically; ":set mousehide" isn't necessary since it is the default; and whatever colors displease me I have changed in a small colorscheme named almost-default.vim. As for the 'guifont', the example given in a comment won't work on all systems; I use, in my vimrc, a snippet of code similar to what is mentioned under ":help setting-guifont", but slightly more complicated because there is still a version of kvim (gvim for kde) on this system, and that requires a 4th 'guifont' format.