From: Georg Dahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VIMCrypt: Algo ?
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:14:52 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

> Hi!
>
> --- Meino Christian Cramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  What algorithm does vim use for the encryption of buffers ?
> >  AES? Twofish? Blwofish? Serpent? MARS?
>
> :h encryption
>
> tells me the following:
>
> Pkzip uses the same encryption, and US Govt has no objection to its export.
> Pkzip's public file APPNOTE.TXT describes this algorithm in detail.
>
> This file can be read online here:
>
> http://www.pkware.com/business_and_developers/developer/popups/appnote.txt
>
> Maybe this helps.
>
> Best wishes,
> Georg

Thanks for your reply, George!

 In the refered doc there are several algos defined in dependance of
 what version of PKZip is used.

 Furthermore, under "Strong Encryption", from which I hope it is used
 inside vim (I think I remember earlier posts elsewhere stateing to
 have broken encrypted zip archives...if my memory serves me right...)
 I found the following note:

 "The Strong Encryption technology defined in this specification is
  covered under a pending patent application. The use or implementation
  in a product of certain technological aspects set forth in the current
  APPNOTE, including those with regard to strong encryption or patching,
  requires a license from PKWARE. Portions of this Strong Encryption
  technology are available for use at no charge.  Contact PKWARE for
  licensing terms and conditions. Refer to section II of this APPNOTE
  (Contacting PKWARE) for information on how to contact PKWARE."

 Is this applicable to out vim  ???

 Kind regards,
 mcc

 PS: AES,Twofish, Blowfish would be alternatives since not covered by
 patents and explicitely released into the public domain.