On 8/16/06, Marius Roets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 8/16/06, Meino Christian Cramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  finally I found (nearly) what I am searching for...but...
>
>  I wanted a command which after doing a y$ from in the midth of a
>  line, puts my yanked text after the end of the line and the cursor
>  right after the put text.
>
>  The help of "gP" states (my im is "nocompatible"):
>
>  ["x]gP                 Just like "P", but leave the cursor just after the new
>                             text.  {not in Vi}
>

>  But it seems I understand the help wrongly. Example:
>
>    This is a very boring example of a line.
>
>  (x=position of the cursor)
>
>  I do a y$gP and the line looks like:
>
>    This is a very boring example of a line.a very boring example of a line.
>
>  The help says:
>                   ...but leave the cursor just after the *new*
>                             text.

Hi,
Using your example of a boring line I got:
This is a very boring example of a line.
Doing y$P I get :
This is a very boring example of a line.s a very boring example of a line.
and y$gP I get :
This is a very boring example of a line.s a very boring example of a line.
This might be case of the help being slightly ambiguous. I think what
it means is, after the new text *starts*, and not at the end of the
new text. If you see no need for the gP function, you could do
:nmap gP gP$
which would give you the behaviour you expected.

HTH
Marius

My first line should be:
This is a very boring example of a line.
to get the results I described. Strange fonts in gmail, sorry.

Marius