Wolfgang Schmidt wrote:
A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
Then the file might be write-protected by Windows (any program can override that if it takes extra steps for it). Try

    attrib filename.ext

in CMD.EXE (where "filename.ext" is the name of the file). There are four possible attributes, each of which may either appear or be replaced by a space or period:

    H "hidden" : doesn't appear in DIR listings
    S "system" : a special kind of hidden file
R "readonly" : the file cannot be written, except by clearing this flag first
    A "archive" : the file has been archived.

To be "normally writable", the file should have either no flags at all, or else only A.

To change the flags, use for instance

    attrib -R +A filename.ext

(minus to clear, plus to set).

Thanx Tony, but this didn't work either. I executed attrib -R +A filename.ext as proposed, but still got the described behaviour.

I have closed my Gvim session now and retried all with console vim. So I executed the attrib command as proposed, so the file's attribute is now set to "A". I then started a console Vim to edit the file. The file was marked as [RO] when loading, so the "readonly" was set. I reset it with ":set noreadonly" and the [RO] mark disappeared. After this I again tried writing the file with ":w", and again I
got this E505 Message. Why does Vim think, this file would be [RO]?

Wolfgang

I don't know. I'm sending this to the list so someone else may answer. (Please use "Reply to all" next time.)