On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 01:21:06PM +0200, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> Dnia sobota, 2 wrze?nia 2006 12:36, Kim Schulz napisa?:
> > Omnicompletion++:
> > -----------------------
> > Omnicompletion is a great new feature, but I would like to see it
> > become even stronger. The intellisense plugin for gvim on win32 has
> > some of the features I would love to see in the generic omni completion:
> > quickhelp for items in list if available:
> > http://insenvim.sourceforge.net/images/vis_help.jpg
> > parameter help in tooltip:
> > http://insenvim.sourceforge.net/images/vis_tooltip.jpg
> > Some of this might be possible to make with scripts, but it often tend
> > to become slow if not natively implemented. (and please kill the pink
> > color - it is really ugly)
>
> You point can be split in two:
>
> 1. Intellisense plugin is tied to widget system. It could mean that
>    popup system had to be written each time for each GUI. Monstrous
>    effort for writing and maintaining.

But the current popup system in Vim does not require intense rewrites
for each GUI.

> 2. Info provided by intellisense can be provided by current
>    implementation of omnicompletion. Problem is efficiency and size of
>    data. For example inclusion of built-in functions in PHP
>    omnicompletion caused that phpcomplete.vim has almost 300K. Adding
>    help would easily explode that file to few M [1]. Parsing of PHPdoc is
>    also possible but it could take time (phpcomplete is already
>    sluggish).

pythoncomplete.vim is about 20K and seems to return a wealth of info.

Also, I'm more interested in plugins that 3rd parties might make, that
won't be included into Vim. Those 3rd party plugins might require people
to download megs of xml data files or something of the sort; and who
cares, it's not bundled with vim.

--Matt